Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sunol Hike

We went to an area we had never been to this past weekend.  It is in an area that they call the Sunol Wilderness but with all the people out walking, hiking and picnicing it felt like a local park.  


I have a thing about where I hike that I don't like a lot of people.  I don't like to hear cars driving and though I may see as a view a city in the distance, I want to be in the quiet of nature.  At Sunol there were a lot of people, I could hear the back-up beeping of a truck where there is a quarry nearby, and airplanes (it is right under the flight path to the areas airport).   Scenic wise it had it's moments but I must be spoiled to our favorite local spots because this was on a scale of 1 to 5 about a 3.  


What was fun was that the poochies had to go through little streams and that was pretty funny.  Neither has had that experience except in jumping off a wet lawn or a puddle in the street.  This was running water, not deep, with rocks to climb over.  Stewie didn't like it one bit.  Hubby picked him up in one spot and I did the next.  He didn't mind the rocks at all and seemed to like to jump up on them.  Tucker as the hike went on, seemed to not mind.


Tucker had his first encounter with horses and some more cows or should I say a bull.  I'm glad the bull didn't care about us and I'm glad Tucker didn't bark at him.  There were lots of dogs off leash and they were all friendly.


Here's some photos of our hike:


 Here's Tucker in the car on the way.  I'm not sure if he really likes car rides.  He doesn't seem to look the out the window much.



Our son came along which was a treat.  Here the boys are checking out the map of the hiking trails.


Heading up on the Canyon View trail.....the poochies keeping an eye on me.  Hurry up Mom!



The Oak trees are just getting some green leaves.  The grass is shorter because they do let cows graze here.  


Here is hubby and I with Stewie and Tucker clambering on the rocks and boulders near a place that they call "Little Yosemite".  Since we have had very little rain I didn't see the waterfall that is suppose to be so pretty.  I'm sure that these rocks last year were covered with water but it was dry and the water below us was a gentle down flow.


Looks like we will have to wait for another week before our next hike because we are in a wet period now through the coming weekend.  Darn. 

14 comments:

Bassetmomma said...

What an awesome place!! I love the picture of all of you on the rocks!

Christine said...

We love hiking too!!

Bailey said...

Sounds like a beautiful place, sorry about the crowds. Bailey is very fussy about his paws so I know he's not crazy about water. I've often wondered about Katy as she always comes in with paws black from the mud.

Mileys Daily Scoop said...

What beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing!!

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

That was such a nice hike. Mom would love to do that with us, but Dad has bad allergies and wouldn't be able to do,that. Too hard for Mom to go alone. She needs to get of our human siblings to go with her.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

tubby3pug said...

It looks like a lovely spot

Urban Hounds

jeff durham said...

LOVE that park but, yeah, don't go on the weekends. When Little Yosemite is rushing, it is scary. Looks nothing like what you saw. Super scary. Weekdays are best, barring a cluster of field trips...

Sara said...

What a wonderful family outing!

Beautiful views!

Nola said...

It sure is pretty! I love the water, so much that when Mom takes me to PetSmart I try to climb into the bottom fish tanks BOL
Dachshund Nola

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Great hike everybuddy. Its always great to be with the family. Love the last photo. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Priscilla said...

What a beautiful place for hiking and the weather looks warm and sunny!

Your pictures are so beautiful and I love your family picture on the rocks.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Looks like a great place for a peaceful walk...it was nice handsome son tagged along
Benny & Lily

Ellen said...

What beautiful pictures! Such a lovely place to walk. Blessings!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Looks like you all had a nice time on the hike! Yay!