Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Yes, I'm sitting


I haven't said much since we started Doggie school, how Tucker is doing.  Well....he has been doing very well....while treats are involved.


When we practice at home (our homework), he does great.  He even is doing the down pretty good.  That has been a hard one for him.  I kind of blame the teacher for this and here is why.  She wanted us to put them in a down and once they were down to give them a treat and then get them to pop up into a sit and doing a down again...and again...and again.  The poochies were popping up and down like Jack in the Boxes.  Here's the problem.  Tucker will go down and then want to pop up every time.  I'm having to bend over with a treat in front of him and telling him "down", "stay" which is great but I think she should not have had us rush to get them up after the down.  Did that make sense? 


Okay.  Sometimes he does a partial down and looks at me like "yeah, I'm down, no really, I'm down". 

 I tell him "down" and we try again.  There is a lot of practice to do when training a poochie.


Today I had both poochies out on the Iron Horse Trail which has a walkers, dogs and bikes on it but I had no treats.  During the week it isn't that busy but because today is so gosh darn pretty and pleasant, there were quite a few folks out sauntering along.  No treats!  Getting Tucker to heel was much saying "heel" then "good dog" repeat..repeat ...repeat.  I wondered if I should have just hooked him to his collar rather than the training collar (choke chain..I hate saying that) because he kept wanting to keep up with Stewie who...doesn't have heeling skills.  I know, I know...I didn't take Stewie to school and I didn't practice with him...I know.  Oh and Stewie has to mark, sniff, mark, sniff constantly (late neutering is what we figure via the fact he was a rescue pooch). 


Back to the walk....whenever I would stop Tucker wouldn't sit.  Okay..that was weird.  He ALWAYS sits when we practice.  What gives?  No treats = no sits?  Come on Tucker.  

I would say "Tucker sit" (because he was ignoring me).

He would look up at me like "what did you say?  "dum-di-dum...so many good smells and I don't think I heard you....".  

Then I would have to tell him "sit" and push his hinny down like ages and ages ago.  Then I would praise him.


All in all as for a practice on this walk it didn't go so well.  However he did do good "leave it" when people, bikes and even other dogs went by.


Maybe because it was so gosh darn pretty outside he wanted to play hooky from homework...make sure to have treats in the pocket in the future (note to myself).

11 comments:

K9friend said...

Oh, the trials of training. I'm sure Tucker will do a wonderful job with patience and practice!

Hopped over to say hello and hope you can stop by Critter Alley for a visit sometime!

Pat
Critter Alley

Lovable Lily said...

Hi Tucker,
Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

You sure are a beautiful pupper! I'm gonna scamper off and read all about you now.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

Two French Bulldogs said...

I only go down on my terms. Lily's teacher did the same, nutty
Benny & Lily

Tim said...

Chris would say--Oh its Tucker he is a good boy!! Sounds like you guys are doing a great job! He is going to get it! Humphrey suffers from the same "what did you say I am busy!!"

tubby3pug said...

Good work Tucker, we know you will be the star of puppy k in no time at all

Nola said...

Yup, trials of training indeed! "Down" was the hardest thing for me to learn! When your 3 inches off the ground already, why bother?
Dachshund Nola

Nola said...

Yup, trials of training indeed! "Down" was the hardest thing for me to learn! When your 3 inches off the ground already, why bother?
Dachshund Nola

Bassetmomma said...

Awwe! Tucker is coming along! He sounds like he can be a bum when he wants to be though. Fred's the same way, but that's what makes their personality! Sadly neither of my dogs have had any formal training. Our walks aren't pretty, but they do sit for food! LOL!

Priscilla said...

Your post brought back our 'fond' memories of puppy training and the training school. It was so much fun, some frustation, lots of work and of course, lots of TREATS!

Eva was always enthusiastic whenever she knew it was the practice time at home but she also made sure her treat box was within her sight too.

Have fun!

Sara said...

Tucker will get it. He's still a baby dog.

Chewy still has trouble generalziing "down". I was trying to get him to "down" on the table at agility school and he looked at me like I had two heads. However, he has a rock solid down/stay on his "mat". I put the mat on the table and he laid down right away. EVentually, I was able to fade the mat. CHewy knows the mat means "down" until I say "go".

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

No treats = no sits! Yeah, that sounds just about right at our house too! Mommy was laughing at the part about the smells being so good -- Tucker couldn't hear you! Sounds like a Sheltie.