Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tucker A.K.A. Mr. Chips


Well we have had quite an early morning wake up.  Tucker started whining around 4 a.m. in his crate and dear hubby took him out (I seem to have slept through this).  He brought him back in and he apparently drank a lot of water then hubby put Tucker back in his crate.  Somewhere in the next half hour Tucker was back whining and barking, which is when I woke up and took him out.  This is when hubby said he had just been out not that long ago.  


Tucker walked around and seemed to be going poo then pee.  Okay what is up?  He was playing "catch me if you can" which is not a fun game at that unGodly hour.  I managed to swoop him up and put him in his crate.  The quiet didn't last long as Tucker kept yipping.  Hubby and I decided to just let him out of the crate, close the bedroom door, the closet door and the bathroom door.  Quiet.....sort of.


Last night we had gone to an Acoustic Guitar Performance in San Francisco.  Our son was wanting to go see this show and we all were looking forward to an evening out.  We decided to lock Tucker in the kitchen, placed the puppy wire pen around the kitchen chairs and table since he has chewed on them before and let him have the use of the doggie door to the deck.  That way if he really needed to go potty he would likely use the deck.  We thought we had covered all puppy proofing in the kitchen.  We left at 6:15 and got home around 11:45.  Tucker had done some mischief we could see.  He pulled down some papers and greeting cards near the puppy gate blocking the kitchen door.  Not all chewed up, more just spread around.  He certainly seemed himself and we all went to bed......


Luna kitty woke me up as I was hoping to catch up with some extra winks.  She wanted breakfast.  Hubby did an "oh by the way" that Tucker had gotten sick in front of his dog crate.  Okay.....I take the poochies out and see that Tucker's belly looks awful full.  Hhhhhmmmm.....Since he had been sick twice I decided to hold off on breakfast for the poochies.


Bringing them inside Tucker is clearly not himself.  He isn't even interested in eating which of late he has been the food aggressor.  Something is not right.  He goes and drinks and drinks and drinks.  I pull him away.  I start to make our son's lunch for school when Tucker lets out a barf of water and chunks!  What?!!  I rush him outside in case he is going to hurl again and go to do the clean up.  What is going on?


I look on the butcher block and notice the Chocolate Chip cookies I made the day before are gone.  The entire bag.  I check out on the deck and there I find the ziplock bag with a nice big hole chewed through it.  Yep...all gone.  I figure it is about 12 to 14 luscious cookies he has devoured.  Now my morning brain is waking up and I to check on him outside.  He looks sort of okay sort of not.  Big full belly.  He is walking around but not the perky Tucker we know.


I observe that he has hurled twice outside.  I bring him a small amount of water and start to think and get concerned.  I come back in and tell hubby I need to take Tucker in to the Emergency Vet.  In a blink I am dressed, hubby gets the crate in the car, Tucker gets placed in the crate and I am on the road.  


In seeing the Vet. we conclude he has had the cookies in his system long enough for it to be farther in his G.I.  His vitals are good and his heart rate is good.  They get concerned about the heart as it can speed up like they are on Red Bull with too much chocolate.  I didn't know that.  I was worried about bloat.  After a nice discussion the vet. suggests giving him fluids under the skin and watch him at home.  After noon time I can give him some water and a small amount of food, she suggested some scrambled egg for the protein as puppies need their protein.  If he gets sick again back off and let him rest longer with no food and small amounts of water.


Since we have been home he has been resting like a good patient though he keeps looking for the water bowl.  In fact he is sleeping next to where it normally is.  It's almost noon here and I'll see how he does with a bit of food.  Fingers crossed!

Yes...new nick name of Mr. Chips...works for me!  

14 comments:

Sara said...

Poor Tucker. I hope he feels better soon. Sounds like his body is working to get rid of the stuff on its own.

If it makes you feel any better, my sister's little dog (10 pounds) ate an entire bag of Hershey's kisses (actually unwrapped each one!), and she recovered without any problems.

Sara said...

I also remember my sister telling me that her dog drank like a gallon of water.

Rae, Morgana & Cassie said...

Oh gosh! I hope Tucker feels better real soon. Puppies really know how to give you a fright thats for sure.

Bassetmomma said...

Oh, poor Tucker! I sure hope he's okay!

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Oh no. Poor Tucker, poor Mom. We sure hope he is feeling better very soon.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

tubby3pug said...

Oh my, poor Tucker but I am sure he will be just fine.

Christine said...

Hope you feel better soon Tucker!:(

Nola said...

Poor thing! Hope he feels better soon! My brother Auggie ate an whole chocolate bar once
Dachshund Nola

Bicontinental Dachshund said...

Poor thing! I hope Tucker gets all better soon.

Bassetmomma said...

Hi BM here again. I have given you the Versatile Blogger Award. Check out my Feb. 23 blog post.

Hope Tucker is feeling better. :)

Debbie said...

That was a pretty silly thing to do tucker...hope your feeling better!

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Oh Tucker, you little rascal. Bet that big full belly didn't feel too good. Hope you are feeling much better now. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Hope Tucker is feeling better soon! I think his nickname should be cookie monster after that stunt!

Bailey said...

Poor Tucker. To this day we only have to remind Bailey about the bum shot he got after consuming Christmas chocolates to get him to stay away from chocolate.

Hope he is feeling better.