Saturday, February 11, 2012

Recheck and a walkie!


Satellite channeling Tucker?

Tucker had a recheck for his rear dewclaw removal to see how it was doing.  The Dr. said it was looking good but he wants Tucker to keep the bandage on till Friday.  I asked if it was okay to take Tucker out on a short walk and he said yes!  Yippeee!  Maybe we can burn a little energy off and let him stretch his legs too. 


He gets so much attention at the vet's office.  The one guy vet tech. always swoops him up and gives him a big hug.  He was telling me he wasn't working the day of Tucker's surgery and wished he had been there to take care of him.  The girl tech. today was quite nice too and is a wealth of advice when I ask her questions.


I found out that testosterone levels could take from 2 to 3 months to level off.  That is a long time!  Hopefully the aggression over the food will pass sooner.  I think it took about 5 minutes for Tucker to sit quiet for him to get his breakfast.  I had him tethered so he wouldn't be hopping up and down behind me like he is prone to do.  I really want to see this through, this obnoxious behavior is not the way to be fed.  He sat on the large dog bed that is in the kitchen for now, staring at me and making whiny under his breath sounds every once in awhile.  Then he would bark and jump and I would close the pantry door where we keep the dog food.  I put dishes away and then I would try again.  Stewie was outside the kitchen area behind the doggie gate wondering why it was taking so long for his breakfast.  He was standing on his hind legs peering in and making a sweet face like he was saying, "please mommy, give me my breakfast...I'm being a good boy!".   Well this scenario went on as I said for awhile till Tucker was quiet long enough for me to fill the cup with his food and pour it in his bowl.  Stewie's bowl was done and waiting.  Kitties were fed...just Tucker.  Then at last he sat quiet and waiting like a good boy.  I released the tether but the leash on and asked him to be easy.  He didn't chomp down like a starving pup but ate slowly....yes! 

                                              *****     *****     *****     *****
Well, we had our walk and did some poochie training since he hasn't had any real heeling practice since the surgery.  Hopefully his incision from the neutering will be fine and I will check it after he is through napping.  The vet. tech. said if it was swollen or red then to back off on the walking.  In less than a couple of minutes after we came back from the vet. Tucker had managed to peel some of the bandage on his foot, so one of our errands before our walk was to pick up some more bandage.  I guess I need to keep an eagle eye out on him or keep the dreaded cone on.  He'd been so good with the first bandage following surgery too. 


Thank you all for your kind comments and advice too!  I really appreciate the input!!!!!

10 comments:

When I Grow Up I Want to be a Vet said...

I am glad Tucker is on the road to healing! What a pain, huh? And YAY for his techs! Aren't vet techs just the best??

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Awwww. he looks so sad with his lampshade on. We hope his dewclaw heals well. We have a similar problem here with Lightning. He gets so excited for his food, he barks and barks and barks. Mom wishes she had a way to stop him from doing that. Once his bowl is on the floor, he is very good about sitting and waiting for the release command, but he is terrible once he knows dinner is being prepared.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Bassetmomma said...

I'm so glad Tucker got to get out for a walk! I know it's hard when they have all that pent up energy. Fred has been neutered for almost a year now and I am just starting to notice some settling in him now. Sounds like your doing a great job with Tucker!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Paws crossed for you Tucker. Good news your foot will be better soon
Benny & Lily

Nola said...

Glad he got a walk! It's so hard to have a puppy and not let it exercise!
Dachshund Nola

Sara said...

Hope the walking helps! It will all be over soon (but I know it seems like forever when you have to "rest" your puppy).

I'd want to scoop Tucker up the minute I saw him too.

Vanilla Bean said...

hi, just dropping by from the blog hop... I've seen other dogs wear the cone of shame with various expressions... and I could say that Tucker wears it like a props of a supermodel xoxox Vanilla Bean

Priscilla said...

Eva had her dewclaws removed when she was three days' old. I think it's because she was still very young and this made the surgery and recovery easier and faster.

Hugs to Tucker!

Ellen said...

Aw, he looks so pitiful in his cone. It's good that he was able to have a walk. Take care. Kisses to Tucker and Stewie.

tubby3pug said...

We had food aggression issues with Bob that where pretty bad, not toward people but towards our other dogs. We feed him in his crate and we have trained him to wait to be released to go and eat. We also work on sitting calmly for treats in the presence of the other dogs, we did that very gradually. We never ever leave chewies down when the dogs are together
Urban Hounds