Friday, February 10, 2012

It's no fun having to be quiet



Tucker is unhappy because he isn't allowed to run, jump, or rough house while he is recuperating.  He is laying next to me with the leash on and at least he is not having to wear the cone for awhile.  He slept soundly without a peep last night while wearing it, which I think means he is submitting to having to wear it for the time being.  

Now this surprised us, last night while watching some TV he started humping on the cat bed he likes to play with.  The kitties rarely use it but Tucker has had more fun with that cat bed, tossing it up, shaking it, and when he was a little guy he could even fit in it.  Hard to believe....but humping?  He hadn't done any humping prior to the neutering and afterwards it just happened.  

Also he has been really testy or nasty at feeding time with Stewie.  Twice yesterday I had to intervene at the end of meal time as Tucker did not want Stewie anywhere near either bowl even though they were both done.  I had never seen Tucker so snippy and having never had a poochie do this it did make me upset.  This morning I fed Stewie outside the kitchen area where I normally feed the poochies which is also beyond the puppy gate.  All went well this way.  Why would Tucker be so snippy now?  It made hubby and I wonder if we waited too long to have neutered Tucker.  Now even when I have fed the poochies before, I never put their bowls near each other.  I always make them sit / stay / don't touch, till I tell them "take it" before they can eat and sometimes one or the other jumps the gun and I stop them, pick up the bowl and begin again with the sit / stay / don't touch.  This seems to be a new feeding issue and I want to nip this now.  I can only assume that Tucker is attempting to be the higher ranking of the two poochies and Stewie in the past with our other dogs Annie and Jesse knew this.  He was always the submissive poochie.  

All the poochies we have had were not that aggressive when it came to food.  I'm giving Tucker a little break as he seems really bent out of shape of not being able to go for a walk or a good play time.  I think he thinks he is being punished.

The days leading up to his neutering he had started peeing more in the house and oh I was surprised.  He had been doing so well.  Now we have to take a few steps back and do the tethering with me to keep an eye on him.  On top of all the surgery stuff we also found out he had tapeworm!  I have no idea how that happened considering all the multiple fecal samples we had to do before because of the Giardia he had.  Seems that the Vet Tech saw them when she was prepping for his surgery.  I hadn't noticed any in his poop prior.  He hasn't had fleas so how the heck did he get tapeworm?  He got a shot for that, a one time treatment.  He had been scooting his tushie more recently  but we did joke about it and thought maybe it was his anal glands needing to be expressed.  I feel bad that I didn't realize that he had tapeworms!   This may explain why he has been so ravenous with his food and why his coat has been sort of dull.  

Never a dull moment with poochies....even when they are bored because they can't go for a walk or play....it might be a long day for Tucker.....

12 comments:

Finn said...

Oh poor Tucker. I hope he is feeling better soon and that he can do a little walking this weekend.

Nola said...

He might just be hurting so he feels weak and like he needs to protect his food. Hope he feels better soon!
Dachshund Nola

Ellen said...

Sorry he has had to go through so much. I think after he starts feeling better and the tape worm is all gone, he will probably not feel the need to protect his food so much. I have no suggestions for this other than to see what Ceasar Milan says about it. I think his advice is always right on. Also I wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate your thoughts. So good luck and keep us informed on how Tucker is doing. Thanks.

georgia little pea said...

Poor Tucker and poor everyone else. He may just be snippy because there are so many things making him feel uncomfortable and not well? I'm guessing too that after The Cut, maybe there'll be hormonal changes that could affect behaviour before it settles. When Rufus got snipped, he was still very dominant and cranky. When we adopted him, he was given a jab (I wish I could remember what is was called but it was 12 years ago and my memory isn't so hot) that settled him. The pound vet said it would help while he was adjusting. Thanks for reminding me that I need to deworm Georgia this weekend. Pups can be an enormous amount of work!

Sara said...

Oh, poor Tucker. He may still not be feeling well after the anethesia, and that's why he's a bit testy.

Shea, Lola and Tucker said...

Poor Tucker. I agree with all above, he is just not feeling well and and right now he can't get rid of his built up energy. Hope things smooth out for you soon.

Bassetmomma said...

I hope poor Tucker is feeling better soon so he can run and jump and play!

tubby3pug said...

Poor Tucker you will be playing soon

Two French Bulldogs said...

I am going through the exact same thing Tucker..
its yuky
Lily (& Benny)

Priscilla said...

Poor Tucker, I hope you're feeling much better now!

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Ellen, I wouldn't be bothered by Tucker humping the cat bed. Sometimes Rory does it and he has been desexed for about three months now. I think its just a physical reaction but doesn't mean anything. Tucker probably feels a little stressed with the whole neutering thing and that's why he's a bit snappy.

Stella was very protective of her food when we brought Rory home and I was a little worried but bit by bit, with me staying while they ate and not letting either one near the others bowl, she seemed to relax and now I can leave them to feed on their own and they lick each other's bowl at the end. Neither will go near the other ones bowl till they have finished.

I have heard other people say that they just feed their dogs in separate areas and problem solved. When Stella and Rory were desexed together they were extremely hard to stop playing and neither had a cone so I just let them go, stopped them if they got too silly, but all in all Rory was fine. Stella did get an infection but that was from the licking I think. I think a little bit of play would be ok for Tucker, but of course, that's just my opinion. You go by what your Vet says. Don't worry too much. In a couple of weeks you will wonder why you were worried ha ha. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Not sure what to say since we don't know much about neutering around here. Thanks for sharing your post, it is very educative in case we do end up with a cone of shame.