Saturday, January 28, 2012

We're back!

 Trouble, trouble or fun, fun....


We're back after having a nasty tummy bug that still has not fully left.  When the appetite comes back I know I am cured!


Tucker has found new fun games while we were ill.  Ah yes, nothing like discovering the toilet paper roll.  How amazing to see it not only can be chewed and torn but if you pull, it comes and follows you.   Yes, now we have to keep all the bathroom doors closed because not only was the toilet paper fun but getting stuff out of the bathroom trash was pretty darn fun too.  I figure it was pay back for the lack of play time.


I feel like we have a toddler running around trying to find something to get into.  Slippers, shoes, paper from inside an open shoe box, and laundry left on the floor all to be picked up and taken to play chase with or to hide under the bed awaiting our begging to come out and bring us back our socks or underwear.  Closets must be kept shut.  Actually I am beginning to feel like all the doors have to be shut if we aren't keeping a close eye on him.


I'm trying to give him chances to check out his home and give him some lessons on when he needs to go out to let us know.  Sort of hit and miss really.  I end up taking him out every so often (1/2 hour to 1 hour) unless he and Stewie have been in some big rough and tumble chase game.


He has been testing the kitties tolerance level of how far he can annoy them.  Lots of hissing and spitting going on but he is being good and not getting his nose to close.  He has annoyed me by deciding their cardboard scratching thing-a-ma-jig on the floor is great to chomp on.  Not good.  I have to pick it up or he high tails it under the bed (we have high beds).  


School practice hasn't happened to much this week.  We got some time in yesterday and he did pretty well.  Lots of new stuff was learned this last week and I don't want to forget what she taught us so that I can practice with Tucker.  


Tucker's "comes" have gotten rather sloppy.  Is it teen stuff or why is he ignoring me unless he knows I have a treat?  Where did the little pup go that would come running when I called him and gave a hand signal?  Now he stares at me like he is saying "what....oh you want me to come?  aaaaa....I'm sitting here till it is worth it dude".    Arrrgghhhhh!!!!!!   Do I go back to always giving treats for every "come'?  With his school that is also his weak spot.  He hesitates and is distracted by the other classmates.  He comes but I think it is more because of the food.  He sits farther away than he should and I have to swish the treat with another come to sit closer.  Maybe I haven't done enough treats?

And Stewie....he left me an unwelcome gift on the family room carpet today....hhhmmmm.....what is up guys?  Yes, life at our house this week has been interesting.  I got to say, picking up an unrolled roll of toilet paper when your sick is not fun.....but I'd rather that than poop or pee on the floor.





9 comments:

Finn said...

OH yes, Finn used to munch on the tp too! Oh what fun!

Sara said...

Glad you are starting to feel better!

I think all puppies go thru a defiant adolescence, where they want to test limits and assert their independence.

Bassetmomma said...

Glad you are feeling better! Fred still goes after the toilet paper roll and anything else for that matter. Kids...hahaha!

Nola said...

Glad you're feeling better! But looks like your in that defiant stage that effects every dog in the house
Dachshund Nola

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Ellen, glad you are feeling a little better. No its not much fun looking after a pup if you are ill and they probably do get a little bored without so much attention. Tucker sounds like a lively, happy little pup so just keep on trying with your training and it will all sort itself out in the end.

Our pups can be the same but now, at nearly 7 months and nearly 9 months, they do seem to have settled down well. No more chewed thongs (or flip flops as I think you call them). Stella still likes to collect socks but now brings them to me to take from her. Its as if its her job each day to find unwanted socks.

Your sweet pup Tucker has the face of an angel. Lucky for him hehe. Take care all. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Meeka said...

I remember those days. Tucker will get over it, after tp, shoes, socks and slippers he;ll move on an dit'll be baseboards, dry wall, carpet (maybe, hope not).
Glad to hear you're feeling much better.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Happee to hear you are feeling a bit better
Benny & Lily

Priscilla said...

So glad to hear that you're feeling better now!

Even though Eva is already two years old, I still think she behaves like a puppy : )

Shea, Lola and Tucker said...

Glad your feeling better Ellen! My two seem to have a knack for causing chaos when I don't feel good.