Monday, January 23, 2012

Tucker says "I'm sorry..."



This past week was a regression week for Tucker.  He had been doing so well with the house training but then it was the "Two steps forward and one step back" dance that kept happening.


I can blame it on the rain or my husband.  For the first time since early November it rained.  It seems like every time rain happens so do the indoor accidents.  That goes for Stewie too, although he hasn't as yet and hopefully won't.  Who wants to go out in the rain and poop?  A pee is quick but a Sheltie has to do the "Sheltie walk" (anyone who has had a Sheltie knows this walk).  This procedure is carefully done to make clean-up a "Wheres Waldo?" task as a Sheltie walks along depositing their little tootsie rolls.  It really is like landmines in the yard when you have to do the pick up!  

Not all the accidents have been poops, actually most have been pee.  Timing is the culprit.  Dear hubby has been around more and helping by taking out the poochie.  He gets Tucker outside but I don't feel he has him out long enough.  I think Tucker sees hubby as the play guy so he just wants to romp rather than do the deed.  The other problem is the playing inside.  Dear hubby gets to playing and romping with Tucker and forgets that like the puppy he is, he will need to pee with all that fun.  Yep, right there in the house.  Hubby figures he can hold it longer because Tucker is older even when they play.  So peepee on the carpet again!  

Also Tucker is playing games with the "come" command.  He won't come in when called by dear hubby.  Instead he runs around inviting a game of "chase".   Well with the rain "chase" is not fun so hubby stands there calling him and Tucker continues to say "ne-ner-ne-ner can't get me"!  I gently prompt husband to use the leash and take him out front.  Don't let him play this game unless you intend this to be a game.   

Practice for doggie school has been indoors and thankfully we have long halls.  Stewie sometimes follows along because he wants a treat too.  A bit distracting for all but we get it in.  Wish there was an indoor doggie gym area we could go to.  Wouldn't that be great to offer for the winter months?  I would gladly pay for some indoor time and I bet many others would too!  I wonder if some larger doggie day cares offer this?  

9 comments:

Nola said...

Agility would be fun! I have accidents when it rains a lot too, because the puddles outside are as deep as I am tall!
Dachshund Nola
P.S. Our homemade food lasts about a week in the fridge (in an airtight container) and up to a month in the freezer

Bassetmomma said...

Ahhh! But that face makes up for accidents! Doesn't it? LOL!

Sara said...

Ah yes, the walk and poop! Chewy does it,my Munchkin did it too!

We are going to an indoor dog playground today ---agility!

tubby3pug said...

I had some of those issues with my puppies

When I Grow Up I Want to be a Vet said...

Aw, Tucker will get there! It is a long process though, huh? And the rain does not help!

Finn said...

That's interesting, because Finn won't come as easily to my husband as she will with me. She'll run right past him, around him in circles. Crazy golden games!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

I like the rain theory the best! Don't you just hate it when you got to go, and you try not to think about it -- but all you hear is the faucet dripping, or someone sipping a cup of coffee.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Tucker you little rascal. No-one wants to pee in the rain but that's a dog's life. We just do it quick and then we can have fun inside. Don't worry mum, won't be long and your fine weather will be back. Take care all. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Christine said...

It's fine! It's Tucker!! Look at that face!!! *Stuff* Happens!! He'll get it!!