Sunday, November 27, 2011

Walkies!

Tuckered out after a walk


Whoo hooo!   We got to go for a real walk with Tucker!!!  On Thanksgiving Tucker got his third shot so we could officially stroll among other poochies.  

First walk was in the neighborhood which is semi-rural.  Stewie was as usual, happy as could be to take a walk and actually tail wagging happy to have Tucker walking side by side with him.  I had both dogs with two leashes and I had to do a bit of changing leashes between my two hands.  So cute to see Tucker sashaying along with Stewie.  He would look over every once in awhile as if he was saying "Wow, where are we?"  We walked for about 20 minutes then headed home.  We saw my husbands truck get ready to turn up the steep driveway and Tucker started getting excited.  He knows his Daddy's truck.  He barked in greeting and of course he got a welcome response.

Yesterday my husband and I took him on the paved trail in our town called the Ironhorse trail.  Ages ago it was the old train route till they removed the rails and made it into a trail.  Tucker was with me and Stewie with Tim.  Now this trail can get busy with bikes, baby strollers, joggers, skaters as well as walkers.  Tucker definitely got all of that as well as children and adults that wanted to give him lots of puppy love.  I felt bad for Stewie who was sadly overlooked.  Normally on a walk he gets lots of attention.  

What Tucker had a fear of was the bikes that zoomed by.  He didn't expect the whoosh of them and would stop or do an about face behind me and stare.  He got a bit better towards the end but this is something we can work on to get him use to sights and sounds he has not been around.  We passed the high school football field which had a loud kids football game going on which he didn't care about. 

On the bright side it was a lovely Fall afternoon, just the perfect temperature for a stroll.  He sniffed to his hearts content and loved being out with Stewie who led us along.

I need to get him a harness for these walks as I worry he will slip out of his collar if he does a quick back up on me.  I tried on one we had but it was too big and Stewie's Puppia harnesses are too small.  


He was such a good boy in the car sitting next to me on the back seat with he and Stewie.  He just lay there or sat up wondering what we were going to do.  We can't wait to get back into our long hikes like we use to do with Annie and Stewie.  Tucker has a whole new world about to open for him of sights and smells!

5 comments:

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Everybuddy, sounds like you all had heaps of fun. We like walks too but Rory can't go on big walks cause he has to be carefully of his big bones and growth and stuff. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Bailey said...

What a great day. It is wonderful seeing how he moves forward and sees the world.

Leslie said...

Oh my, aren't you just the little cutie!

Just found your blog through the blog hop and happy to have done so. Looking forward to watching this little one grow up!

Priscilla said...

Wow, Tucker is a good boy!

Eva loves walkies too, she doesn't mind how far the journey is, and is always happy while she's having her walks with us.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Hi Tucker. Sorry it's taken me so long to read your post. The walk sounds so lovely. Mommy always worries about taking me and my little brother out for walkies. I can get out of my harness. This scares Mommy to pieces. I don't know how I do it -- but it is so snug going on and somehow I can still back out of it when I want to. If you find the perfect harness, let me know. Mommy is so paranoid about my harness. Those bikes zooming by sounds a bit scary and fun all at the same time. I bet pretty soon you will be trying to herd all those bikes to stay on one side of the Iron Trail so you can have the other side all to yourself and Stewie!